
My brother Jake certified as an air traffic controller in January. HUGE DEAL. Okay? You got that? HUGE. It's like becoming a doctor. We're talking 5 years of hard work and preparation and dealing with some really lousy stuff. And my sister-in-law, Toby, threw a rockin' surprise party in his honor. He got home from work at about 4pm, and everyone yelled when he came inside, and really surprised him! He almost dropped the two cans of baby formula that Toby had sent him to the store for so we would have more time to get ready for him. It was classic! Here's his surprised, happy face.

The food was AMAZING. Aunt Naomi made chicken salad sandwiches; Aunt Becky made banana bread. Toby had meatballs and deviled eggs and veggies and chips and dips. There was a YUMMY chocolate cake and lime punch. And the decorations were AWESOME!

Here's Toby, the exotic beauty and brains that she is. This is one incredible couple, I'll tell ya that. Not only are they beautiful, but they are heroic. Give me a few hours and I'll tell you some of the trials that they have faced together and it won't be enough time. Awe-inspiring.

Family and friends came from miles around for this shindig. And, just for posterity's sake, I'm going to tell you who was there, excepting Jake's friends who I don't know. Aunt Na, Uncle Brent and their family. Aunt Becky and Uncle Al and their family (all the way from Hurricane, Utah). Aunt Bonnie and her family. Mom's cousin Julie and her family. Emily and Eliza Bushman. And all of Toby's siblings--Brynn, Andrea, and Corey--and their families.

And ME! I flew in from Arizona for the occasion. I had gotten the email from Toby about the party and Jose said, "I know how it feels to not have my family with me during special times in my life. I think you should go to be with Jake." And of course, my jaw dropped and I said, "Well, what about Clark?" and he said, "I can take care of him!" And so I booked the ticket and went to Salt Lake, all by myself, and surprised Jake. It was really sweet of Jose, and I am so very grateful that I got to be there. And I got not one, but two hugs from Jake when he walked through the door, which made me feel special. He really was surprised!
Comments
PS I'm doing well with only eating chocolate one day a week:)
By the way, when are you coming back to Germany??? I miss you!
I´m so glad we are friends!
Hug´s,
Verena